Early Start Program
The Early Start Program (ESP) welcomes first-time freshman students to develop readiness for college-level English (A2) and math (B4) in the summer prior to enrolling at a CSU. The goal is to increase the opportunity to complete their college degree. Based on the results of Multiple Measures, students may be required or recommended to participate in the CSU Early Start Program.
The following students are exempt from participating in the Early Start Program:
- Students who met the multiple measures criteria for English and math;
- International students (F-1 and J-1 visas only);
- Non-resident students who reside outside of California;
- Students in the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Summer Bridge Program;
- Students who successfully appeal for an exception to the Early Start requirement based upon extenuating circumstances, or appeal academic placement.
2021 Early Start Dates will be available soon
Fees and Financial Aid
Cost is $191 per unit plus a mandatory fee of $1 for Health Facilities and $1 for the Student Union. Eligible applicants with an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of $6,000 or less may be eligible for a fee waiver of the per unit ESP fee.
Note: Course material fees may apply
Information Technology (IT) has made software and devices available to admitted CSUF students who are enrolled in Early Start Program courses. To make a device request and download software, please visit the IT website . CSUF students are welcome to use the device for the next semester if they are enrolled in courses.
The CSU Early Start Program is online for Summer 2021, however housing is available in Single Apartments for a rate of $45 per night. For more information and to register, please visit Housing and Residential Engagement .