First-time Freshmen Eligibility Requirements
First-time Freshmen must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- be a high school graduate or equivalent;
- complete the 15-unit comprehensive “A-G” pattern with a grade of C- or better by high school graduation; and
- earn a qualifying “A-G” grade point average (GPA) as described below.
"A-G" requirement may not be completed during the summer term prior to fall enrollment.
Fall 2022 Admission update
California State University Fullerton will temporarily suspend the use of ACT/SAT examinations in determining admission eligibility for the 2022-2023 academic year. This temporary change of admission eligibility applies only for Fall 2022.
To determine first-time freshman admission, Fullerton will rank order applicants by their “A-G” GPA for the entire freshman applicant pool. This includes applicants that meet the following criteria:
- California residents and graduates of California high schools with a 2.50 or greater “A-G” GPA.
- Non-California residents earning a 3.00 or greater “A-G” GPA
CSU Fullerton will not evaluate the following applicants for admission:
- Any California high school graduate or resident of California earning a GPA between 2.00 and 2.49
- Any non-California high school graduate or non-resident of California earning a GPA between 2.47and 2.99
CSUF will continue to accept grades of "Credit" or "Pass" to satisfy "A-G" requirements completed during Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall 2020 terms and during Winter, Spring or Summer 2021 terms. All prior coursework must be graded and a grade of C- or better must be earned for the course to satisfy “a-g” requirements. Grades of credit/pass or no credit/non-passing will not be included in the calculation of high school GPA.
Cal State Fullerton is impacted by campus and major. Impaction means that there are more qualified applicants than can be admitted. Meeting the minimum California State University (CSU) requirements does not guarantee admission CSUF. Admissions is competitive, therefore supplemental criteria may be used. As an impacted campus, CSUF only accepts second bachelor degree applicants for Nursing.
local Admission area
Due to campus impaction, a local area is defined. Visit Local Area High Schools for a complete list of schools. Priority admission preference will be given to local area freshmen for all majors by receiving an approximate .3 “A-G” GPA bump.
For example, if your “A-G” GPA is 3.2 as a local area applicant we will record your “A-G” GPA as a 3.5 GPA for admission purposes.
The following majors have supplemental admission requirements:
Computer Engineering integrated BS/MS
- Successful completion of at least (3) AP tests (scores of 3, 4 or 5) towards the major, and/or general education for a total of 10 semester units
- One of the AP tests must be Mathematics/Calculus AB or Mathematics/Calculus BC (score of 4 or 5)
- Minimum high school GPA of 3.0 (unweighted)
- Priority admission will be given to local area freshmen for Computer Engineering integrated BS/MS
Admission to the Dance major is based on the performance of a successful live dance audition. Visit the Dance department for audition requirements.
Admission to the Music major is based on the performance of a successful music audition. Visit the Music department for more information regarding the audition requirements, repertoire, and audition scheduling.
Admission to the Theatre major is based on the performance of a successful theatre audition. Visit the Theatre department for more information regarding the audition requirements and audition scheduling.
Please Note: Cal State Fullerton does not defer admissions. If a student is unable to enroll for the admitted term, they will need to reapply for a future term.