MASTER / GRADUATE STUDENT
You are eligible to apply as a graduate student if you have earned a degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree.
You must meet the following requirements:
- The minimum English language proficiency as determined by your graduate program. See requirements below.
- Above average class standing at an internationally accredited college or university: the equivalent of at least a 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale is recommended.
- Note: Some master's programs have additional requirements, such as department applications, letters of recommendation, portfolios, auditions, or tests (e.g., GMAT, GRE, MAT). Graduate applicants should check with their graduate departments for additional requirements and deadlines. Engineering and Computer Science applicants please click HERE for details regarding the application process.
- Graduate students may request to apply a limited amount of transfer coursework towards unit requirements for a master's degree. Transfer coursework is subject to provisions provided by the graduate studies office .
Explore the information below for specific admission requirements.
English Proficiency Requirements
Regardless of citizenship, all applicants whose education was not at a majority Enlish-language country, must submit proof of English proficiency before an admissions decision can be made.
|Masters/Graduate||550 or 80 iBT||6.5||58|
|Music||560 or 83 iBT||7.0||65|
|MBA/Graduate Business||570 or 88-89 iBT||7.0||65|
|TESOL||573 or 89 iBT (w/ 26 speaking)||7.0||65|
|Art with concentration in Graphic Design||85 iBT||6.5||58|
|Engineering and Computer Science||550 or 80 iBT||6.5||58|
|English||600 or 100 iBT||7.5||65|
|Social Work||575 or 88 iBT||7.0||65|
* Note: Graduate departments do not make exceptions for English scores below the minimum requirement.
Test of English as a Foreign Language Requirement (TOEFL)
To request your score report, visit the TOEFL website ( Cal State Fullerton's Institutional Code is 4589) .
Note: If you took your TOEFL test through a college or university, rather than an official ETS testing center, your score cannot be accepted.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
IELTS is accepted in place of TOEFL as a test of English proficiency. Select California State University, Fullerton-Admissions & Records when choosing schools to receive your score. Visit the IELTS website to learn more.
Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE)
Pearson PTE is accepted in place of TOEFL as a standardized test of English proficiency. Visit the PTE website to learn more.
You may qualify for a waiver (and will not need to take an English Proficiency test) if you:
- Attended a U.S. educational institution for three years, full-time (72 units);
- Earned a bachelor's degree or higher from a U.S. educational institution; or
- Attended a full-time international educational institution at the secondary level or above for at least three years, where English is the majority language of the country. Those are: Antigua, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, Canada (except Québec), Ghana, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Nigeria, Scotland, South Africa, Trinidad, the United Kingdom, Virgin Islands, and Wales. Case-by-case assessments for Norway and Singapore.
- CSUF no longer waives on the basis of: "Medium of Instruction in English."
If you meet any of the above mentioned requirements, complete the TOEFL Waiver Form and send it in with your other admission materials.
After applying to the University, you will need to send transcripts showing proof of your previous education. In the United States, the academic record is called a “transcript.” In other countries, these documents may be called by another name — such as mark sheets, leaving certificates or maturity certificates. Some Master's Programs require you to submit additional documents to complete your application .
- Official transcripts are required from schools listed on the CSU application.
- Emailed, faxed, and opened transcripts are not considered official.
- All academic records received become official records of the University and cannot be returned or reissued.
International students must submit the official original-language transcript or mark sheets, as well as an official English translation if documents are not in English.
Cal State Fullerton does not offer financial aid or assistance to international students. Applicants must accept admission and submit the following items. An I-20 is issued only after these forms have been approved.
- International Student Financial Affidavit of Support
- Proof of funding (bank statement or sponsor letter)
- A passport copy
Please visit our Tuition and Fees page to view estimated education and living costs for international students.
For step-by-step instructions and an application timeline of the admissions process, please visit our Apply to CSUF page.