International Graduate Eligibility Requirements
You are eligible to apply as a graduate student if you have earned a degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree.
You must meet the following requirements:
- The minimum English language proficiency as determined by your graduate program. (See requirements below.)
- Above average class standing at an internationally accredited college or university: the equivalent of at least a 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale is recommended.
- Note: Some master's programs have additional requirements , such as department applications, letters of recommendation, portfolios, auditions, or tests (e.g., GMAT, GRE, MAT). Graduate applicants should check with their graduate departments for additional requirements and deadlines. Engineering and Computer Science applicants please click HERE for details regarding the application process.
Graduate students may request to apply a limited amount of transfer coursework towards unit requirements for a master's degree. Transfer coursework is subject to provisions provided by the graduate studies office .
Explore the information below for specific admission requirements.
English Language Proficiency Requirement
Regardless of citizenship, all applicants whose education was not at a majority English-language country, must submit proof of English proficiency before an admissions decision can be made. The test score must be valid within two years prior to March 30 for fall term applicants and prior to August 31 for spring term applicants. Due to the paper-delivered TOEFL exam being discontinued, it will only be accepted through April 11, 2023.
CSUF will accept TOEFL iBT Home Edition and TOEFL iBT Paper Edition.
You can demonstrate English Language Proficiency by meeting the following exam benchmarks.
|550 or 80 iBT
|570 or 88-89 iBT
|573 or 89 iBT (w/ 26 speaking)
|Art with concentration in Graphic Design
|Engineering and Computer Science
|550 or 80 iBT
|600 or 100 iBT
Test of English as a Foreign Language Requirement (TOEFL )- Institutional Code-4589
International English Language Testing System (IELTS )
Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE )
English Language Proficiency Waiver
For more information on English Language Proficiency and how you can waive this requirement, please visit the English Language Proficiency webpage.
After applying to the Cal State Fullerton, you will need to send transcripts showing proof of your previous education. In the United States, the academic record is called a “transcript.” In other countries, these documents may be called by another name — such as mark sheets, leaving certificates or maturity certificates. Some Master's Programs require you to submit additional documents to complete your application.
- Official Transcripts are required from the university where the bachelor’s degree is earned.
- Official documents are delivered securely from the originating institution directly to CSUF in an electronic format or as a hard copy mailed in the institution's sealed envelope, not opened by the student or anyone other than a CSUF Admissions staff member. Emailed, faxed, and opened transcripts are not considered official.
- Electronic transcripts are preferred and can significantly expedite the processing time. Please check with the institution you attended and see if they work with a qualified 3rd party vendor who can securely deliver transcripts in a digital format. When ordering a transcript select "California State University, Fullerton" from the drop-down list. Please avoid selecting "OTHER" or manually entering email addresses. However, if your institution does not already have CSUF’s contact information on file, please use firstname.lastname@example.org to complete your order.
- Additional details on the submission of the official Electronic and Paper Transcript can be found here.
- All academic records received become official records of the University and cannot be returned or reissued.
- Students must submit the official original-language transcript or mark sheets, as well as a word-for-word certified English translation if documents are not in English. Or, submit a full credential evaluation from World Education Services (WES) or SPANTRAN. Evaluations from any other third-party source must be accompanied by Official Transcripts.
For step-by-step instructions and an application timeline of the admissions process, please visit our Apply to CSUF page.